Take a stroll form the city to East Melbourne and discover elaborate ironwork, classic columns and lofty verandas from the Victorian era.
From Federation Square (1), walk or catch a free City Circle tram in an easterly direction to the corner of Spring Street and Treasury Gardens. Enter Treasury Gardens opposite Flinders Lane. Cross Lansdowne Street and continue straight ahead into the Fitzroy gardens. Pass the 1930 Conservatory and Cooks Cottage (2) on your left.
Emerge from the gardens, cross Clarendon Street and continue east into George Street. Hepburn Terrace (no. 199 – 209) (3) was built in 1874 and is a fine example of the Victorian homes that define inner Melbourne. One of East Melbourne’s oldest homes is the 1856 terrace (No. 182) (5), while behind the hedge is gracious Braemar (no. 178) (6), dating to 1865 and nearly demolished in the 1970s.
On the corner of George and Powlett streets is a grand house that is now four apartments (7). Along here are a converted 1920’s post office (No. 24) (11) and Georgian Court (No. 21) (12) built as apartments in 1860; and the 1865 home of Melbourne’s first surveyor, Robert Russell (No. 49) (13).
Turn right into Simpson Street to view magnificent Queen Bess Row (14) (cnr Simpson and Hotham streets). Next to Queen Bess Row is Sydenham House (15), built in 1856 as a girl’s school, while Dorset Terrace (No. 114-120) (16) has front doors unusually placed diagonally to the gates. Opposite is the former 1880s Cairns Presbyterian Church (17) converted into apartments after a fire in the 1980s.
The 1868 home (No. 138) (19) has an unusual opera-box style balcony. A few doors down, the house at No. 130 (20) was built in 1867.
Divert right into Gipps Street for notable homes. No. 128 – 132 is Nepean Terrace (22). No. 179 (23) was the townhouse of Constance Stone, who became Australia’s first woman doctor in 1890. Little Parndon at No 159 (24) was home to Eugene von Guerard, prominent artist and teacher in the late 1880s. At No. 155 (25) artist-author Norman Lindsay courted first wife Kate Parkinson in the 1890s. No. 107 Powlett Street (26) is the former home of Picnic at Hanging Rock author Joan Lindsay and husband Daryl Lindsay, once director of the National Gallery of Victoria.
Continuing on Powlett Street is Canterbury Terrace No. 82-112) (27). Built in 1878, it is Melbourne’s longest terrace, with 16 homes. The terrace house at No. 85 (28) was home to Peter Lalor, who led miners in the Eureka Stockade uprising at Ballarat in 1854.
Turn right into Hotham Street for the 1861 bluestone home (No. 157) dubbed the Gothic House. Opposite is Fairhall (No. 154) (30) an elegant 1860 townhouse, now the home of the Johnston Collection. Cyprus Terrace (No. 158 -164) (31) was designed to look like two grand houses but is actually four homes. Continuing on Hotham Street, hidden behind the long black fence is Bishopscourt (32), home to Anglican archbishops since built in 1853.
Head in to the Fitzroy gardens, pausing at the pavilion Café. Out front are the Fairies Tree (33) and the Model Tudor Village.
10. Art Deco flats (No. 109)
11. 1920's post office (No. 24)
12. Georgian Court (No 21)
13. No 49
14. Queen Bess Row
15. Sydenham House
16. Dorset Terrace
17. Cairns Memorial Presbyterian Church
18. Contemporary Addition
19. No. 138
20. No 130
21. 1873 Mansio
22. No. 128 - 132
23. No. 179
24. No. 159
25 No. 155
26. No. 107 Powlett Street
27. Canterbury Terrace (No. 82-112)
29. No. 157
30. No. 154
31. Cyprus Terrace (No. 158 -164)
33. Fairies' Tree
1. Federation Square
2. Cook's Cottage
3. Hepburn Terrace (No. 199 - 209)
4. No. 193 and 188
5. No. 182
6. No 178
8. Foynes (No.52) and Eastcourt
9. No. 125b