Walk one leads from the river, through Mildura’s central avenue, passing some significant points of interest along the way.
From the riverbank, this walk leads directly into Mildura’s centre. You can do this by either climbing the stairs and crossing over the footbridge that arches over the rail line, offering a great view back across the river to the George Chaffey Bridge, or by following the path that winds around the rail bridge.
The Mildura township was mapped out on the lines of the successful Chaffey irrigation colony of Ontario in California. Deakin Avenue was named after Alfred Deakin, the Victorian Cabinet Minister who introduced the concept of an irrigated settlement in Australia to the Chaffeys.
The main thoroughfare is straight, broad and long, running from Seventh Street for twelve kilometres southwest. Its centre section, originally reserved for a tramway, is now a landscaped median strip lined with a double row of shade trees planted by W.B. Chaffey himself.
Mildura Wharf has been a vital part of the town and inland river transport system since the 1880s. It was established by the Mildura Progress Committee in 1888 to assist the burgeoning river trade.
A short walk across the railway overpass leads to Deakin Ave or head left down to the Hugh King Drive underpass to avoid the stairs.
This fountain is very special as it was opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales on the 29th October 1985. Many Mildura residence crowded around to see the Princess Diana.
To the left is a War Memorial commemorating those who served in Vietnam, Korea and South East Asia.
Sculpted by Michael Meszaros and presented to the city to mark the centenary of the irrigation colony in 1987. The memorial represents fruit blocks and irrigation channels as seen from the air.
Enter the Grand Hotel’s main entrance and turn left. To your right, you will see a display of historical photos. Through the glass doors are one of Mildura’s original Chaffey fountains.
Back in 1888, this site was a early boarding house called the Warren. A plaque marking the site can be found at the entrance to the motel’s restaurant. The Warren was demolished in 1965.
Originally STV8, opening in 1966 and next door is the Sunraysia Daily, the local newspaper.
Mildura’s earliest newspaper was the Cultivator, begun in 1888. It was a twice-weekly publication that moved to the current Sunraysia Daily site at 22 Deakin Avenue in 1912.
Local identity, C.J De Garis bought The Cultivator along with the Mildura Telegraph and Merbein Irrigationist and merged them into one paper, the Sunraysia Daily, in 1920.
Across the road is a single story late Victorian, red brick building, with a brick and iron palisade fence. The building was gifted to La Trobe Uni in 2009 by Don Carrazza.
In the centre plantation, stands the Electric Supply Department Substation No.1, dating back to 1936, when the production of electricity was considered a local responsibility, rather than a state one.
When Queen Elizabeth toured Mildura in 1954, a decorative dais was erected in this area of the plantation. Pics of this day are displayed at the Carnegie Centre. Visit to Barclays Block in Red Cliffs
The site of the ANZ Bank was previously known as Bowring Corner and was the site of Bowring’s Store, opened in 1888. It extended into Langtree Avenue in 1961 but ceased business two decades later.
This corner building was for over a century, the Mildura Post Office. The earliest Post Office on this site was built in 1890, with much of the current building being erected in 1923.
Crossing into the centre plantation, you will find the George V Memorial Fountain, originally erected in the gardens of the Rio Vista, home of W.B Chaffey, it was moved to its current position in 1936
Opened by Robert Hulls, Victoria’s Attorney General, on Nov 23 2004. This complex was built on the site that began as Washington Stores, before becoming Maples, before it all went up in flames in 1996
Once the site of the Shire Offices, beginning as a modest, timber, two roomed building before the current building was erected in 1922. In 1971, the Shire Offices were relocated to Irymple.
Constructed in 1908, as the Carnegie Library, courtesy of a 2000 pound grant made by Andrew Carnegie, in 1906, after a request from Lord Hopetoun. The tower was added in 1922 as a soldier memorial.
The Civic Buildings, opened in 1958 and it’s also the site of the original Shire Hall, also known as the Mildura Town Hall.
In the center plantation is a statue of W.B. Chaffey, who died in 1926. The Paul Mountford sculpture was unveiled in 1929. A similar sculpture can be found in Renmark, SA.
The centre plantation is home to the Desailly Rotunda, named for Cr George Desailly, former Shire President, who died whilst in office in 1913.
On the RHS of Deakin Ave is the earliest surviving building in Mildura. It started out as Mildura’s first general store, owned by H.B Williams, in 1887. A bank altered the building appearance in 1937.
Built in 1914, this Edwardian building has been a restaurant, a bank, a real estate agency and other businesses, which although altered over the years, still retains some of its original charm.
The Mildura "Gentlemen's Club" began in 1890 with Lord Ranfurly as the first President. Meetings were originally held at the Coffee Palace, until this building was completed in 1920.
The Deakin Cinema complex was established in 1975. A point of interest is that the cinema includes the original site of the Masonic Temple, built in 1907, with the façade still remaining.
An iconic landmark, once famous for having the world’s longest bar (which was removed in recent renovations.). Begun in 1908, it was originally a 1 story structure with a 2nd level added in 1935.
Has stood at the front of the club, since 1920, honoring Mildura’s war dead. The marble soldier is the work of A.D Thomson and the three-sided list of soldiers’ names underpins the heavy losses of WW1
Opened in 1912, this unique church had a number of architectural influences, including Byzantine, Queen Anne, Masonic and Art Nouveau . Image: Methodist Church under construction 1911.
Built in 1908, the Church of Christ was first organised by Reuben Mansell in 1890 and members met in a variety of venues until this building was completed using all voluntary labour.
Commemorates those who died or were killed in World War One. Erected by the Mildura Branch R. S. & S. I. L. A.
The Uniting Church, known as St Andrew’s, started out as a Presbyterian church and was built in 1914, at a cost of 2097 pounds. It replaced a wooden structure that had been there since 1891.
This church opened in 1902, with the addition of the sanctuary in 1934 and the vestry and bell tower in 1957 that honours the lost soldiers of World War II.
Madden Ave was originally planned to be the principal retail district of Mildura due to easy access to the wharf. However, Langtree, with it’s proximity to the railway proved to be more significant
The Returned and Services League with some 1500 Sub Branches Australia wide and with a membership of 240,000 is the largest service association in Australia.
As you cross over 10th street, to your right you will see one of Mildura's Water Towers. Built in 1957, the tower provides water pressure for thousands of homes across the urban area.
Commercial Hotel, commonly remembered as the Wintersun and now the Mecure Hotel was built in 1925
Behind the hotel is a disused water tower, which from 1912 until 1957 operated as Mildura’s sole source of water storage. Instigated by the former First Mildura Irrigation Trust. 180000 litre capacity