Dumbleyung Historical Walk
Discover our 29 historical plaques on the footpaths of town
Known as the Historical Caravan Park because of its links with the past. Home to Malcolm’s old shop, the first bank and Doctor’s house (Dr Lovegrove), an overnight prisoner shelter & warehouse.
Constable Miller established a police barracks on this site on 5 January 1911. Prisoners were tethered to trees or logs until facilities were completed.
Originally the site of the RSL hall. The little corrugated iron building was previously a dis-used school until re-erected in 1949 for use by the RSL and Ladies Auxiliary.
The site of the first church in Dumbleyung built by the Baptist congregation & opened in 1912.The church closed in 1918 and 3 years later Father John Frewer purchased the building. Rebuilt in 1958.
Dumbleyung’s best example of a restored Goldfield’s House. A number of houses were purchased in the Goldfields, dismantled board by board and reassembled in Dumbleyung. This house was built in 1921.
Originated in Belgium during WWI and offered fellowship and support to the soldiers. The movement spread worldwide and local resident Charles Morgan, an ex UK army officer, established this branch.
Les Kellow built the garage in 1959 and in 1961 it was leased to Maurie Scullard, Robin Kellow and Ross McDonald. Les sold to the Co-Op in 1974 and operated until 1987. Now Dumbleyung Engineering .
After WWII ended many Displaced Persons of European origin arrived in country towns. Paid for by the Australian Government in return for two years work they lived along the rail in tents or shacks.
Coffee Palaces were set up by the Temperance Society as alcohol free establishments offering refreshments, accommodation & function venue. Built in 1910, the Coffee Palace burnt to the ground in 1930.
The line reached Dumbleyung in 1907 but was not officially opened until 5 years later. After transporting passengers, livestock, goods and mail, the station closed in 1982.
Constructed in 1912 opening in 1914 the Post Office building housed the residence and later the telephone exchange. Telegrams were received and sent by morse code and mail went by train until 1982.
First shop in Absolon St still standing today. In 1909 when CA Piesse sold his general stores to Malcolm and Co, Mr Malcolm built this shop and closed the Nippering store. (Post Office pictured left)
The WA Bank site from 1910 to 1927, then following a merger it became the Bank of NSW. This building was erected and opened in 1939. The bank gave 83 years continuous service closing in 1993.
This site was home to the National Bank from the early days until 1918. Bank premises were re-established by the Union Bank from 1929 to 1940.
In 1909 two shops were established on this site, Harris and Williams the blacksmith and Stubbs and Jeffrey general merchants.Two brick buildings replacing the blacksmith shop were built in 1926.
In 1912 Tom Sheehan established his newsagency, hairdresser, fancy goods, tobacco and billiard saloon businesses.
JT West ‘The Father of Dumbleyung’ was responsible for building eight bricks shops on Lot 43. Four shops faced Absolon Street and the other four shops fronted Bennett Street, south of Violet Lane.
Dumbleyung’s grandest building was built by AJ Tunney and opened for business on 21 December 1911. The hotel contained 24 bedrooms, bathrooms, sitting & dining rooms, bars and 17 stalls for horses.
LEG Ramm’s first contract with the International Harvester Co. was in 1936. Nine years later he set up his house and work premises on this site.
The site of the original Co-Op building, a wooden structure erected in 1918. The Co-Op building has seen many renovations and name changes. In 1997 a fire destroyed the old premises and was rebuilt.
Sam Harris and W `Billy’ Williams opened their blacksmith, wheelwright and farrier shop in Absolon Street in 1909 before building new premises on this site in 1916.
Dawson Brothers, established the first taxi service in 1919 & Dawson’s garage was built on this site. In 1926 Dawson Brothers built a car showroom still standing across the road.
In 1911 Rose Stockton established a bakery and confectionery shop. RB (Alf) Johnson established a house and insurance agency on the southern portion of the block from 1922 to 1943.
Business woman Rose Stockton owned the first house from which she ran a boarding facility and dining room. Her husband Angus, the vet, owned the livery stable.
CK Campbell, a saddler and harness maker, operated his business from 1920. In 1935 the building was purchased by the CWA. During WWII evacuees from Perth lived in the building.
The original site of the wooden Dumbleyung Road Board offices built in 1911. In 1962 the Shire relocated its premises and the St John Ambulance Sub Centre was built.
The original wooden town hall was built, in 1909 (Pictured left). In 1929 a group of independent citizens, known as the Hall Committee, lobbied and built Dumbleyung’s second town hall (Right).
Originally school classes were held in the town hall until the wooden school building was opened on 31 July 1912. Numbers increased after WWII when district schools were closed and transferred here.
In 1925 the hospital was built and the foundation stone was laid by three pioneering women, Mesdames J Cronin, I Bairstow and W Bennett. The first Doctor, Dr Lovegrove, arrived in 1925.