Dunolly History Walk

73 Broadway, Dunolly VIC 3472, Australia

Dunolly History Walk

73 Broadway, Dunolly VIC 3472, Australia
Staff Pick
27 m
1.82 km
Easy

Summary

Take a historical tour of Dunolly and its many significant buildings from the middle 1800s.

Dunolly History Walk

Report improper content
Rate this walk

Description

Find out more

The small goldmining town of Dunolly boasts many historic buildings. Quite a few have changed uses over time and most have been re-purposed to make them useful.
The original County Court in the Broadway (1884) swapped functions and became the Dunolly Town Hall in 1890. The original Town Hall (1862) was in Market St .
Other original buildings include the Land Titles Office (Postal & Telegraph Office 1872-91); post office and also Lands & Survey Office (1861); private residence of James Bell, Belleville (1869); Chauncy Cottage (1859); and Footers Mansion (1865), another private residence and now a b&b.
Dunolly is part of the Golden Triangle producing the most prolific and large gold nuggets in the world. It also boasts the anvil that the world’s largest nugget (69kg), ‘The Welcome Stranger’, was cut up on in 1869 and sold at the London Chartered Bank in Broadway.

3476 Views

Points of Interest

1. Dunolly Town Hall

It was the original County Court from 1884 swapped functions and became the Dunolly Town Hall in 1890.

2. Dunolly Museum

Dunolly Museum is home to the anvil that the world's largest nugget (69kg), 'The Welcome Stranger', was cut up on in 1896.

3. Original streetscape showing Coach Office and Billiards buildings

Original streetscape showing Coach Office and Billiards buildings and part of TP Daly General Merchant.

4. Dunolly Post Office 1892

The Dunolly Post Office was built in 1891 with the clock installed in 1949 as a Second World War memorial as well as the soldiers plaque in the front wall.

5. London Chartered Bank

‘The Welcome Stranger’ nugget was brought to Dunolly to be sold at the London Chartered Bank in Broadway. The building is now a private residence.

6. McBrides Ironmonger

The two-storey ironmongery shop and dwelling was built in 1863 by Peter and Catherine McBride, who came to Dunolly from Scotland in 1857.

7. Footers Mansion 1865

Once a privately-owned grand house, it is now a B&B.

8. Dunolly Uniting Church

One of the few buildings in Dunolly that hasn't changed its use!

9. Wesleyan Jubilee Sabbath School 1886

A very grand building that is now used as an op shop.

10. Belleville 1869

Owned by politician James Bell and designed by a local store keeper, Thomas Tyrer.

11. Original Dunolly Town Hall 1862

The town hall was complete with a public library and reading room, as well as council chamber and offices.

12. Lock Up 1863

The Lock Up was built as one of the police and court buildings on the government and legal precinct on Market Street. It was used until the Dunolly Court closed in 1981.

13. Police Station 1958

This is an example of a typical 1950s standard rural area police station.

14. Land Titles Office

It was also a Postal and Telegraph Office 1872-91

15. Post Office

Lands and Survey Office 1861

16. First Court House, County Court 1858

The former County Court House was constructed of coursed bluestone by James Nichols. It is now a Masonic Temple.

17. Chauncy Cottage 1859

Chauncy was District Surveyor from 1861

Features

Historical Interest Historical Interest
Local Treasures Local Treasures
Public Transport Public Transport
Seating Available Seating Available
Pram friendly Pram friendly

Share

Report improper content
Rate this walk

Featured Walks

Maits Rest Rainforest Walk

.78 km
11 m
Easy
Maits Rest Rainforest Walk

Grange Reserve & Virgilia Drive loop walk

Hoppers Crossing
3.86 km
57 m
Easy
Grange Reserve & Virgilia Drive loop walk

Most Popular Walks

Flinders Street to Jolimont walk

Melbourne
2.15 km
32 m
Easy
Flinders Street to Jolimont walk

Lillydale Lake

Lilydale
2.63 km
39 m
Easy
Lillydale Lake

Bushranger's Bay Trail

Cape Schanck
2.67 km
39 m
Intermediate
Bushranger's Bay Trail