A walk around the historic buildings of Castlemaine.
This walk covers the central city area, its public buildings and commercial areas.
Some buildings have been modernised inside but retain the old world charm on a bygone era on the outside.
Constructed in 1861-62 this building was a market until 1967. It is now the Castlemaine Visitor Information Centre.
Behind the 1930s facade is one of the longest continuously operating entertainment establishments in Victoria.
Once known as the Albion Hotel it is now called the 'Empire'.
This building on the right was the Mt Alexander Hotel from 1864-1907 when it changed to a grocery business. The building on the left was the Trades Hall from 1914. It was built c 1860.
This building was The Freemason's, the Victoria and Sporting Club hotels at different times.
E D Williams redeveloped this site as his grocery and general merchandise business expanded.
1859-65 It was also a doctor's residence and surgery. Now a private residence.
In 1858 it was an early chemist. Now a real estate agent.
1859-1913. This building has extensive cellars.
This building was originally the State Savings Bank from 1855. In 1921 it became the police station.
The Warden headed the Mining Court and sometimes served as the Police Magistrate.
1877 This building replaced an earlier court building on the site.
1861. Another hotel built with an interesting mansard roof and extensive cellars.
The School of Mines building was constructed in 1889. It is now the Mount Alexander Shire Council building.
This building dates from 1898 and is still the Castlemaine Town Hall.
1889 The Castlemaine 1st Company, Victorian Rifle Corps moved from Camp Reserve to this site prior to 1863.
This site was the fire station from 1857. Now a cafe.
This building is the middle Citadel occupied between 1885 and 1898 and capable of seating 1000.
This building was originally a Mechanics Institute in 1857. It is now Castlemaine Library.
Opened in 1895 as premises for the Castlemaine Pioneers and Old Residents Association chiefly funded by a donation by Mrs Watson in memory of her husband.
The first telegraph communication was on 1 January 1857.
This building dates from 1875 complete with clock bell cast locally at Horwood's foundry.
Verey's first photographic studio was on this site c 1884. This building was built in the early 1900s.
1853 This building is the oldest continuously licensed premises in Castlemaine.
1856 This building replaced an earlier small corrugated iron building.
The Oriental Bank Chambers (right) 1862 was subsequently a printing works, newspaper office and legal chambers. The Bank of NSW (left) 1866 replaced an 1855 single storey building.
1860 This building was originally the Bedford Arms Hotel. Now the National Bank.
Victory Park was established in 1919. The drinking fountain provides for horses and dogs as well as humans!