Kensington Historical Industries Walk

Eastwood St, Kensington VIC 3031, Australia

Kensington Historical Industries Walk

Eastwood St, Kensington VIC 3031, Australia

Staff Pick
1 h 39 m
6.63 km
Intermediate

A walk around Kensington with a focus on its past industrial background.

Kensington Historical Industries Walk

Report improper content
Rate this walk

Summary

A walk around Kensington with a focus on its past industrial background.

Description

Find out more

The walk passes some of the sites on which a range of industries have occupied and provided employment to past residents of the Kensington and Flemington areas and beyond.

Rate this walk

26006 Views


Points of Interest

1. Doutta Galla Hotel

The 65 room hotel was built in 1888 and famed for large dining room on the first floor. It was named after the local parish and the tribe of aborigines on the original John Batman Treaty Deed.

2. Old stable

This former stable, along with others scattered throughout Kensington are a reminder of when horses contributed to the transport and development needs of yesteryear.

3. United Friendly Society Dispensary

The Society was formed in the Victorian era with the aim of providing its members with support in times of sickness and unemployment. This dispensary assisted with the medication required.

4. Old shopping precinct

Rankins Road was once a bustling commercial street lined with many shops. Strolling along the street it is possible to glimpse some of the shop buildings and their faded signs.

5. Skating Rink

In the 1890’s this site was home to the Kensington Rink. Roller skating was a popular social activity at the time.

6. Foundry

Holmes and Son Foundry was originally established in 1892 and is still in use as a foundry.

7. Plane crash site

Crossing the Moonee Ponds Creek via the bridge with its cast iron handrails to the site of World War 2 diver bomber crash site. The Vultee Vengeance crashed here during training exercises in 1943.

8. Younghusband Produce Warehouses

Built in the early 1900’s these warehouses and their private railway siding were the hub of much commercial activity, particularly within the wool industry.

9. Flour mill and warehouse

Flour milling activities have existed continually on this site for well over 100 years. Fire has ravaged previous buildings but the businesses have been strong enough to rebuild and continue milling.

10. Gravitation railway shunting yard

Former siding for rail freight for the woolsheds, produce stores and the grain silos.

11. Industrial area

This low flat land was a swamp until being drained in the 1870’s. Wool and grain stores were also established here in 1890. In later years the Four’N’Twenty pie factory occupied the site.

12. Bayview Hotel

Built in 1889, this hotel is typical of those built in the 19th century. Often these hotels were located near to a railway station and associated with one family over a long period.

13. JJ Holland Park

Formerly Seagull Swamp, this site in the 1960’s was developed into a park. It is named after John Joseph Holland, who was the Member of the Legislative Assembly for Flemington for over 30 years.

14. Former Army ordnance depot

The ordnance depot was established here in 1941 during World War 2 and operated here until the mid 1980’s. It was bounded by the back of the abattoirs, Hobsons and Kensington Roads and the escarpment.

15. Kensington Banks Residential Area

The 38 hectares comprises the former Stock Yards and Army Ordnance Depot. Originally over 1,000 dwellings at a density of over 25 dwellings per hectare it has won prizes for its innovative design.

16. Glue Factory

The former Apollo Candle factory (180 Kensington Road) and the former Glue factory shown here were some of the industries situated in the Hobson’s Road area and were reliant on the abattoirs.

17. Angliss Stock Crossing Bridge

Originally built in 1894 as a footbridge across the Yarra near Punt Road, this bridge was re-erected here in 1941 to enable stock transport across the Maribyrnong from the saleyards to the meatworks.

18. Abattoir Gates

Business entrance to the abattoirs. Former office buildings on either side of the gates have been converted to residences.

19. Stock route

Follows the old stock route. Some original timbers and bluestone remain but mostly it is a re-creation of the route. Pepper trees provided shade for the animals.

20. The Back Gate

Original underpass to abattoirs has murals depict herding of sheep and cattle from the saleyards to the abattoirs along the Stockmans’ Route. A toll was collected.

21. Newmarket Saleyard pens

Newmarket Saleyards, Australia’s main livestock trading market opened officially in 1861, closed in 1987. In days gone by, it was reputedly the world’s largest sheep & cattle supplier.

22. Saleyard Administration building

The 4 sided clock tower was visible throughout the saleyard area, notifying buyers of the next auction.


Features

Public Transport Public Transport
Playground Playground
Picnic Spot Picnic Spot
Drinking Water available Drinking Water available
Seating Available Seating Available
Dog off-leash area Dog off-leash area
Public toilets Public toilets
Historical Interest Historical Interest
Park / Garden Park / Garden