Euroa Heritage Trail

Euroa Farmers Arms Museum 25 Kirkland Ave., Euroa 3666

Euroa Heritage Trail

Euroa Farmers Arms Museum 25 Kirkland Ave., Euroa 3666

Staff Pick
3 h
7.65 km
Easy

The early buildings of Euroa are fine examples of an architectural inheritance from another world. This walk also includes a section of Euroa's pretty Seven Creeks Walk.

Euroa Heritage Trail

Report improper content
Rate this walk

Summary

The early buildings of Euroa are fine examples of an architectural inheritance from another world. This walk also includes a section of Euroa's pretty Seven Creeks Walk.

Description

Victoria was a prosperous British colony at the height of Queen Victoria's Empire. The colonial buildings stand as evidence of the confidence and foresight of early settlers and traders.

Whilst still retaining their value as reliable premises, the buildings display an elegance and solidity lacking in modern construction. Besides buildings, a few other items of interest are noted along the trail.

There are buildings already restored and renovated. There are others that continue to offer great potential for conservation and restoration in harmony with the township's future growth.

There are comprehensive directional and informative Heritage Trail signs to follow and enjoy along the way.

It is quite a long walk, you can find well maintained public toilet and baby change facilities at the Traveller's Rest and RV Comfort Stop on Kirkland St in Seven Creeks Park and in Telegraph Park behind the Post Office.

Dogs must be on a leash unless in the designated off leash area at Euroa Showgrounds.

Thank you to Loretta McPherson of the Euroa Historical and Genealogical Society Inc. for her support in adoption of information available in the Euroa Heritage Trail brochure for this Victoria Walks walkingmaps publication. See link below:
Euroa Heritage Trail brochure

If you'd like to try another walk in Euroa, the lovely Seven Creeks walk begins from close to the start point of this Heritage buildings walk.

Rate this walk

1430 Views


Points of Interest

1. Euroa Farmer's Arms Hotel Museum

A hotel for 35 years after being licensed by J. Shelswell in 1876, this building was a boarding house for the next 50 years. It became the Museum in 1974 and is well worth a visit.

2. Strathbogie Shire buildings

In 1883 Council purchased the Kirkland St Rechabite Hall and upgraded it with offices in front of the earlier structure. The Hall was used until the Binney St Shire Hall was constructed in 1939.

3. Hume and Hovell Cairn

The cairn was erected adjacent to Burton's Bridge to commemorate the 1824 journey of the first explorers through the district.

4. St Paul's Church of England

Completed in 1884 and built for 800 pounds is the nave of the present church. Additions include the 1929 Gothic Bell Tower designed by Louis Williams, a Baptistry and a Lady Chapel.

5. Euroa Primary School

State School No. 1706 opened in 1876. It replaced Euroa School 217, a non-vested Church of England School. Various changes and additions have been made over the years.

6. Methodist Church (now a Funeral Chapel)

Built by G. Whyte in 1897 for 30 pounds, this simple red brick Gothic Chapel is a notable landmark in the town for ending the run of red brick buildings in Binney St.

7. Euroa Court House

Erected in 1890 by local builder George Diggle, and designed by J T Kelleher of Public Works. This is a rare Romanesque style for a Victorian court, notable for portico, entry arch and bulls eye vent

8. St John's Roman Catholic Church

Built 1886-7 by Lawrence Hanlon of Benalla, the architects were Tappin, Gilbert and Dennehy. The cost was 2000 pounds. It succeeded an 1866 church facing Binney St. The Presbytery was built in 1906.

9. RSL, Victoria Cross Memorial and Kirkland plaque at Twomey's Bridge

The original 1850 town survey found resident squatterJames Kirkland's "Urowa" Run and later homestead on this site. 3 local Victoria Cross recipients are immortalised here beside the RSL as well.

10. Euroa Flour Mill

1873 built and first operated by Jared Graham, the building was updated in 1903 and closed in 1917. It produced brands "Pride of Victoria" and "White Eagle". It is built in the Romanesque style.

11. The Presbyterian Church (now Uniting)

Built in 1889, this church replaced the first Presbyterian Church which stood behind the Seven Creeks Hotel. The original manse is still there in Foy Street.

12. The Masonic Lodge and Commemorative Oak

Built in 1901, extended in 1906, the Masonic building has been left intact since. Also see the 1901 oak planted corner of Kirkland & Railway to commemorate King Edward VII ascension to the throne.

13. A. P. Gardiner Building

45-47 Railway Street is named after the original owner. It was built in 1901 after the first weatherboard store burnt down.

14. The third National Bank

Erected in 1885 for 5,000 pounds, the building is one of the best examples of banks designed in the Queen Anne style in Victoria. It is registered by the National Trust.

15. Blairgowrie

Built by chemist H London in 1890, other chemists followed - HW Potts, Jas Blackie and GB Spiers. Note the first owners name "HL & FL London" and date worked into the decoratively patterned facade.

16. The Newsagency

61 Binney Street was built in 1900. It retains the original shopfront and is noted for the clerestory lighting.

17. Burton Stores

Since 1900 a Burton has been on this site. Est. 1928, Burton's is the longest running family business in Euroa. Previous businesses were Gleeson's, Euroa Trading Company and Alex Miller & Co (1892).

18. The Post Office

Built in 1890 by the Public Works Dept to replace an 1884 structure burnt in 1889, this Romanesque style building has triple Italianate arches and asymmetrical massing. It was extended in 1968.

19. Salvation Army Barracks

This was the site of the old sale yards. In 1892 the Salvation Army Barracks was constructed. It was later the home of the first Kindergarten, from 1845 - 1964. It is now a private residence.

20. The Colonial Bank

Erected in 1889, this building later housed the Bank of Australasia, then the ANZ. The style is a rare regional example of Boom classicism with a superimposed trabeated system over brickwork.

21. Euroa Public Hall

Built in red brick by Maurice Garrett for 1,537 pounds raised by public subscription. From 1920 this was known the Memorial Hall after Edward Stribling presented it to the RSL. It is now offices.

22. Euroa Hotel

Originally built without a verandah in an 1884 adaptation of Queen Anne style for a country hotel, this was claimed to be best of its kind outside Melbourne. It replaced DeBoo's North Eastern Hotel.

23. Site of the second Euroa National Bank

The Bank was robbed by the notorious Kelly Gang in 1878. Sculpted art work commemorates the event on the wall of the current building, alongside a cut sheet metal descriptor.

24. Euroa Railway Station

The line opened in 1873. A station building followed in 1878. The original 91m long platform was extended to 120m in 1900. A second 91m platform was against the Goods Shed opposite from 1880 to 1904.

25. North Eastern Hotel

North of the railway line stands this imposing hotel. It was erected in 1889 by Michael McKenna in High Victorian style for 9,000 pounds including furnishings. It has 300,000 bricks and 48 rooms.

26. Euroa Butter Factory

The 1891 version was destroyed by fire in 1901. This building was built and fitted out by Mr Beck for 7,000 pounds. It represented Euroa's largest industry at the start of the twentieth century.

27. Seven Creeks Railway Bridge

Originally built in 1872 on large iron girders and brick piers, the bridge comprises 8 x 40 feet spans. It is higher than originally planned after a severe flood was witnessed by authorities.

28. Euroa Cricket Ground (now Memorial Oval)

Volunteers cleared the area in 1884. This great sports oval nestles between the Seven Creeks and the railway line. Inside the gates is a 1911 Silky Oak and plaque planted for King George V coronation.

29. "Plym"

The house at 23 Railway St was built in 1890 and noted for its Quoin work, verandah posts and cast iron friezes. An abundant garden surrounds the house.

30. "Vega"

This house was constructed in the early 1900s for Edward Stribling. It was originally half timber and half brick. News was made when he had a septic tank installed in 1908.

31. "Wittabrenah"

On the corner of Noble and Dunn Streets, parts of this cottage date from the 1880s when a six room cottage was built. Later owners extended it in 1894 and again in the 1900s.

32. "Fermoy"

in "Old Euroa", Euroa's oldest structure is Maurice Garrett's "Fermoy" built 1857. From 1863-1912 it was the Euroa Inn with Maurice as licensee. It remained in the family until 2001.

33. "Birchill Cottage"

"Birchill Cottage" was built in 1870 by the first President of the Shire Of Euroa, Mr Hugh McGuiness.

34. Seven Creeks Hotel

John DeBoos commenced a tent store on this corner in 1853. He built a single storey brick hotel in the 1860s. The bar is part of the original. A second storey was added in 1910.

35. Burton's Bridge

Burton's bridge over the Seven Creeks is named for Alexander S. Burton V. C., one of the three local soldiers who were awarded the Victoria Cross.

36. Traveller's Rest and RV Comfort Stop

This all-access complex includes male and female toilets, as well as a baby change room and deck area, designed specifically for tourists and residents alike to sit and admire the beauty of the Park.


Features

Public Transport Public Transport
Playground Playground
Picnic Spot Picnic Spot
Drinking Water available Drinking Water available
Seating Available Seating Available
Public toilets Public toilets
Pram friendly Pram friendly
Historical Interest Historical Interest
Local Treasures Local Treasures
Art and Culture Art and Culture
Nature trail Nature trail
Lake, creek, river Lake, creek, river
Park / Garden Park / Garden